When should I consider using Google AdWords (or Paid Search) to generate new customers?
Consider the following in your decision:
- You have a very good understanding which keywords to use in order to attain a high conversion rate for the number of clicks purchased. Remember, “more clicks = more dollars”. Getting a lot of clicks will certainly cost you more, but rarely does this correlate with increased revenue. Why? An “unfocused” campaign (spray and pray method) will get many clicks, unfortunately, a lot of those clicks will come from non-targets.
- Your website is designed to convert eyeballs into revenue generating actions. If unsure, consider these questions:
– Is my website mobile responsive?
– Does my website have one or more calls to action?
– Is my website easily navigable? In other words, can my site users find information quickly?
– Can my site users contact me outside of normal business hours (via email contact form)?
- You understand how to set up an effective paid search campaign, targeting the “right” customer opportunities.
- You have time available to educate yourself and to monitor the effectiveness of the campaigns. Time commitment for paid search is generally around 5-10 hours per month.
- You have a dedicated monthly budget set aside for paid search, ideally at least $250/mo.
Paid search isn’t as scary as it sounds; just realize that in order to attain the highest return on investment (ROI) you need to educate yourself and have time. Another solution, find a company with expertise in setting up and running these types of campaigns. You may pay a bit more, but in the long run you won’t be paying for clicks that don’t produce revenue.